
Synopsis
The storyline revolves around the residents of Jericho, a small, rural Kansas town, in the aftermath of nuclear attacks on twenty-three major cities in the contiguous United States. The series begins with a visible nuclear detonation of unknown origin over nearby Denver, Colorado, and a loss of power and modern communications, effectively isolating Jericho. Later, power is restored to Jericho by what is alluded to as the efforts of the U.S. government, but soon after, an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) disables all electronics. Several themes regularly addressed in the show are gathering of information, community identity, public order, limited resources, the value of family, and internal and external threats. The show also features several mysteries involving the backgrounds of major characters, the perpetrators of the attack, and the extent of damage to the United States and its government.
The pivotal character in this story is Jake Green, the 32-year-old son of Mayor Johnston Green, who briefly returns home to visit his family and friends before becoming stranded as a result of the catastrophe. After a somewhat awkward return home and a tense reunion with his father, Jake steps up to become a leader in Jericho, fighting to protect the town and its citizens. As the people of Jericho struggle to survive in a changed world, most remain unaware that one of the newest residents, Robert Hawkins, knows much more about the attacks than he lets on.
Jericho's Cancellation and Return
CBS officially announced Jericho's cancellation on May 16, 2007. Several online communities, including the official Jericho forums, launched campaigns in an effort to revive the show. Fans also sent just over 20 tons of nuts to CBS headquarters; this referred to a scene from the season one finale Why We Fightwhere Jake Green repeats General Anthony McAuliffe's historic phrase "Nuts!" from the Battle of Bastogne.[30] The peanuts and other proceeds from the donations have been donated to charities,[31] including the rebuilding effort in Greensburg, Kansas.[32]
In a response posted on the Jericho forum, CBS president Nina Tassler acknowledged the fan response, stating "we hope to develop a way to provide closure to… the Jericho story."[33] CBS officials acknowledge the campaign was the largest the network had seen using digital means to protest a show cancellation.[34] President and CEO Leslie Moonves acknowledged that he was filtering emails from Jericho fans,[35] while senior vice president of communications Chris Ender said, "You have to tip your hat to their ability to get attention and make some noise."[34][36]
On June 5, 2007, Jericho executive producer Carol Barbee announced that CBS was discussing the possibility of the show's return for an eight-episode mid-season run.[37] A day later, Tassler posted an announcement on the forum stating that seven new episodes of Jericho had been commissioned as a mid-season replacement for the 2007-2008 television season, with the possibility of an extension based on viewership.[9]
On August 2, 2007, a video was released on YouTube showing clips from the first day back at work for the Jericho cast and crew. It shows clips of the first season, explaining the cancellation, followed by brief clips from the second-season premiere, and a "thank you" from the cast and crew to the fans for their efforts to revive the show.[38]
On December 4, 2007, CBS announced that Jericho's second season will premiere on Tuesday, February 12, 2008, in its new timeslot, Tuesdays at 10:00 PM ET/PT.[39] The trailers advertising the season were accompanied with morse code, much like the episodes themselves, spelling "SPREAD THE WORD".
So I to am going to "Spread the Word" and ask each of you to give my show a chance to help it stay on the air!!!










7 comments:
fun!! I definitely will check it out, and the books too. oh and the book series I was telling you about is called the "Twilight" series...the vampire book.
It's the same book that toosure is talking about on her blog too then... interesting...I will see if I can find it, seems like a good read.
We are excited too, we loved Jericho. Have you ever read the book Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. Same kind of idea, but it took place in the 1959s, it is one good book. Sara had to read it for a class and as we had to travel all weekend so we read it outloud and could not put it down.
I have not read that book. I will have to put it on my library list. It's getting to be a long list, but since I am in charge of it.. I can move that book up in the rotation.... I find this kind of topic interesting... maybe it makes me think I am preparing in some way...?
sounds cool- I want to read that one too. Maybe I'll do it first because I think there is a waiting list for the other book at our library!
i recorded the show, i havent watched it cuz want to want the whole firs season so i can catch up/
I recorded it too! We record all of the season so we can watch it all in one sitting. We do that with all our favorite shows... guess we just don't have any patients for all the "to be continue...." stuff. So, anyone who may have watched it.. don't give the story line away.. PLEASE! And, thanks for watching... :-)
Post a Comment